Saturday, November 3, 2012

Montage … Like a Chief!

Been a long time coming but I am really excited about this post. I like to think about inspirational things. I know it might be weird … maybe it’s growing up in the 80’s and all those 80’s montage films

Whenever I hear a song that gets me going, I think “how can I make this a cool music video?”…I know I am a dork. I am really digressing.  This post isn’t about 80’s montage music, but I think I have an idea for a future post. This post IS about something that inspires me and maybe needs its own montage. Something along the Rocky Training montage.

About one year ago, maybe a little longer…who is counting, a friend of mine was laying on the floor of his garage not being able to move because of the pain originating in his back.  He received medical treatment and started physical therapy. A few months later as he was rounding second base,during his class’s party in celebration of their impending graduation, he falls to the ground in agony and is taken to the hospital; this time surgery is required. All of this was within months of his plan to run in the Marine Corp Marathon.  An accomplishment within itself, but he wasn’t running just for himself, he was running for The Organization for Autism Research. He had to defer to the next year and undergo physical therapy. frank-marathon

Now this individual, I will call him “Frank”, was not a slouch by any means. Among training for a marathon, he was also on fitness team on our base. He works to train the future of the Coast Guard in Physical Fitness. Frank is also a Unit Health Promotion Coordinator. He helps those struggling to maintain weight standards to make weight and learn healthy eating and fitness practices. He is also the Chairman of the Base’s Wellness Committee. Most importantly to me, Frank is a good friend who has helped and encouraged me through my fitness journey. Being a father of an autistic child, he has helped me find resources to help my autistic daughter. He helps me mentally, giving me support and telling me of his journey with his son.He is simply a darn good friend. (My daughter loves him, by the way, probably more than me…you should she the way she smiles and bats her lashes at Mr. “Frank”)Smile 

Through his time of rehab and healing he still showed up at 0530 in the morning to help the fitness team, still encourage me, and had the marathon training schedule posted in his cubical and the shirt from The Organization for Autism Research hanging outside so he would constantly see it.

When he was healthy he trained. Took it slow but he still trained. During  his time training Frank was advanced to Chief Petty officer in the Coast Guard, a pretty huge milestone in anyone's coast guard career. A Chief in the Coast Guard is more than just a supervisor, they are someone who all should look at for leadership and mentorship, which I do. 

So finally after a long struggle to get healthy…last weekend he ran 26.2 miles for Autism Research and, most importantly, for his son.

photo 2

photo 4

What was his time … it’s doesn’t matter. He finished.  He had to slow down and take it easy (although I don’t know how easy a marathon can be) to stay healthy, but he did tell me he beat the time Jared from the Subway commercials finished in.  And that made him happy.

So Chief “Frank”,  on behalf of my family and others in the same situation, I say Thank You. You have inspired me, helped me, pushed me. I think you need your own Montage…Like a Chief.

3 comments:

Mack Daddy said...

Heck ta bro in sooo happy for your friend and for you its important to have a mentor and its way cool that he ran for what he did and its way cool that he can help you and emmi great post love you bro !!!

Ashlee said...

Congrats to "Frank"! Super impressive and for such a great cause!!I CANNOT imagine running a marathon. Each time I finished a 1/2, I thought I could not - would not turn around and run back! :)

PS: Who doesn't love a great '80s montage. ;)

whitney said...

Every hero needs a montage. Time to get to work, Kit ;)

Way to go, Frank! So impressed with his strength and determination, especially for such a great cause. It's near and dear to my own heart as well.