Tuesday, September 25, 2012

In The Beginning...There Was...Marzipan


Below is a re-post from the original The Marzipan Incident, a blog I started about four years ago...I was going to start up on it again but I guess from years of inactivity Blogger erased/lost/cancelled/sold to aliens my password so I have been lucky in being able to start a blog over from scratch. If you have been curious as to where the name of my blog comes from, I have re-posted the original post, and want to reflect on it, as a blogger. So enjoy ... there will be more after the flashback...

Marzipan-
"Although it is believed to have originated in Persia (present-day Iran) and to have been introduced to Europe through the Turks, there is some dispute between Hungary and Italy over its origin. Marzipan became a specialty of the Baltic Sea region of Germany. In particular, the city ofLübeck has a proud tradition of marzipan manufacture (Lübecker Marzipan). The city’s manufacturers like Niederegger still guarantee their Marzipan to contain two thirds almonds by weight, which results in a juicy, bright yellow product."  
                     -wikipedia
Basic Marzipan Recipe:
Uncooked:
1/4 pound ground blanched almonds
1/4 pound powdered sugar
1 egg white
1/4 tsp. salt
Cooked:
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 cups ground blanched almonds

The above would be all and good if this Blog was about Marzipan... but it's not. For everybody who really knows me knows that i have a little quirk. My attention span is not long and I get obsessed with (fill in the blank) very quickly and due to one particular moment in my life my family has dubbed these spontaneous moments as "Marzipan moments". You'll have to ask my brother-in-law to describe it to you. So "The Marzipan Incident" is dedicated to those moments. What ever it is and how ever short it might be lived, it will be here. So stay tuned for the first because it was what inspired the blog. Excited? I know I am.
So were am I going with this? The original blog was very short lived, a few posts about a Wooden Articulated Man named Pan. The second Marzipan Incident is what you are reading now. My second attempt and hopefully it will have a longer tenure. What do I want out of this? Is it just a "Marzipan Moment"? I hope not, I am hoping this new philosophy, this Life Endurance thingy is here to stay.

So what should you expect:

  • Posts of my progress
  • My work outs
  • How I Do it
  • Marzipan (can't give it up)

What I expect from you:

  • To be entertained 
  • Maybe learn something
  • Maybe every once in a while a encouraging post
As I work to get back into the flow after the toe thing and as I go on the road the Friday to ride safety with my running team while they trek 200 miles across Virginia for the Colonial 200, I'll need those encouraging posts.  




2 comments:

whitney said...

yay! yay! for another manifestation of Marzipan Kit!

You try your darndest to be entertaining and I'll try my darndest to be entertained ;)

whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.