Monday, September 3, 2012

Marzipan WOD: hitting the wall, diet, duck walks, and still no Marzipan

You can take your pick, health, mid-life crisis, peer pressure...job security but I started running, a lot. I hated it, still do.  It started with 5k's and just running off base at lunch. My father had been trying to get me to run for years and I had, off and on. Ok, lets get some something straight right from the beginning, the term Run. I use it loosely, I really don't know if I would call what I do "running", The definition is:


run·ning [ruhn-ing]
noun
1.the act of a person, animal, or thing that runs.


Images of graceful creatures moving in space.



That is not me, I look more like an intoxicated orangutan, I think i have hit my self in the face with my flailing arms, or slow shuffle, almost zombie-esk. What I do inspires words like, "is he ok" and "do we need to call the paramedics". I even had a student of mine come back for me to make sure I wasn't dead in the woods and getting eaten by some woodland creature. But I still did it, mile after mile, and hating every step of it. In one year's time I did three 5k's, two half marathons and a 24 hour utlra-marathon where I did 50 miles. After the second 13.1 I was so sick of running that the thought of it literally made me sick. Now I know that compared to others it might not seem a lot but to someone who hates an act to the core it was just too much. I wanted to stop but then there is the issue that the Coast Guard wants me to below a certain weight, I had to keep doing it.

In comes, from stage left, the Four Hour Body
,
 Liberty wanted to start a diet. I was all for it, if it worked maybe I wouldn't have to run as much, so score. she came home from the library with this book. We read it, started it and loved it. It worked, it wasn't very hard. It had different  parts, some for running, weight lifting, dieting, sleeping and others. I read most of the book. I was hooked, in the running section in the book he introduced a man by the name of Brian Mackenzie. He is a kind of pariah in the endurance community,  but I am drinking the koolaid. He has a LESS is MORE approach, I think I heard angels singing when I read it. He founded Crossfit Endurance and promotes Max effort short interval philosophy. I love it. No more long runs and my 5k time is dropping, which is also good because then I get to run less. Yes, I still hate running every single step but I love working out and how I feel after. So, for the last 6 weeks I have be training for a 200 mile relay with a team from the base. I have been using  CFE (cross fit endurance) as my training and it's been working swimmingly. This is what I do:

M/W - 1600m of sprints, 10min CF WOD
T/TH - leg work out
Friday - 5k for time

I have four weeks left to train for the race so I am starting two a days:

M/W - 1600m of sprints, BJJ and Reflex and development class
t/TH - legs, 10 min CF WOD, BJJ
friday - 5k for time x 2 
Sat - 5k for time

should be fun (insert sarcasm font) but at least I am not running 7 miles 3 times a week or have a 10 mile Saturday run. 

So why tell you this. Maybe it's a mid-life crisis. Maybe I am just sick of struggling with my weight. Maybe through all of this I have found that I walk like a duck, and that is bad. I am changing and jumping straight into this. I need your support and maybe you can jump in too. THis is going to be a chronology of my journey. Come along if you want it, might just be Marzipan but you can help me keep it real, join in or just watch it should be a entertaining if anything:)   

One parting note: 

I'll be buying it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kit!! Super proud of you. I always think running is a great idea...until I'm smack in the middle of doing it and then can't for the life of me figure why people love it so much.
You looked great this summer. I know you can do it, and we'll be cheering you on the entire time!!

Anonymous said...

btw....not cooper, steph *sigh*

Mack Daddy said...

Bro that's way cool man I totally support you!! You got to tell me more about this workout !! Love ya man

Ashlee said...

Well, Kit...if I can sucessfully run the 1/2 marathon in October, then I should be the poster child for this workout! The first three days, I was practically disabled I was so sore and could barely move. But I have recovered well. I enjoy doing it, so I hope it works. It is hard, but I love that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to fit it in. I also love the structure and variety. Both keep me committed and interested.

Alabama Apples said...

All I will say is that I am crazy proud of you. You have done so much already and continue to push yourself more. Way to go, babe!!

The DeVito's said...

Great job Kit! I am tempted to try the CFE I've not heard of it (I've heard of Cross Fit classes but not that work out). What book is it?