Friday, October 12, 2012

Changing The Cadence

First off, I want to thank those who commented on my last post. I thought long about what y'all said about why I should choose one race or why I should do another. I have found a race that will allow me to do a marathon and it will allow me to prepare for the 24 hour run...so, I win...I think... I mean, I am talking about torturing myself by running 26.2 miles then a few weeks later running 75 miles in a 24 hour period.  The marathon I am running is the Charlottesville Marathon; it's April 6th and yes, on a Saturday. I have a little less than 6 months to train for this one so I have plenty of time but I will be cutting it close. What? Why will I be cutting it close you ask...that is an excellent question thank you for asking. I will be cutting it close because I will be changing my stride, or cadence, to Pose style of running. Below is a video talking about the Pose Concept.

So this and some runners from my running club/team I'm on have convinced me to change. It's more energy economical (Dad you would like that).  Basically more fuel efficient for humans. I could become the Prius of homo sapiens...ok, maybe Prius isn't the best example. Maybe the Jetta of ... ok, tha'ts not so manly either.  I think you get the point and for the record, good gas mileage is manly. So how does it work? Well, because I can't afford/find a Pose running coach I have turned to Youtube.com for instruction. Below is a short tutorial on how to Pose Run.

 There are tons of videos and books on this method. I am pretty excited to start the process but I have be running the same way my whole life and now at ripe old age of 35 I am going to change. Ever heard the saying about the old dog and the new tricks? Yeah, this transition of mine is going to be interesting. Good thing there are smarter people than me out there. You can youtube pose running drills and get tons of them. I am going to be trying out a six week training program shown below...I know, this is a video heavy blog but why re-invent the wheel? Right?


I will be starting this coming up week. I will be posting my progress through the next six weeks. Along with reshaping the arch of my foot and hopefully getting my toe to the point where I can run more than a mile on it. I will be posting each of the week's drills and training if any of you would like to join me. Post comments of how you are doing and we can wallow in the torture of running; not just running, which is bad on it own, but running a way we have never done before so it is even more miserable and all around just bad...bad bad bad. But, it is better than running in such a way where in a few years my knee will start to go out and my body will break down more. Upon researching Pose, I have found out your running career can last longer and it is possible to run faster with less energy. I like that. So join me or cheer me on...I am going to need to pretty much all of it.

2 comments:

whitney said...

I've heard about Pose running before. It's definitely intriguing. Good luck and keep us updated!

Alabama Apples said...

I think it is a better way to run, however teaching myself to do it properly sucks! I appreciate your help, babe! :)