Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Next Challenge

I have nothing on the radar. My calendar is clear as a summer's day. The race I was training for has come and gone. October weigh-ins are in the bag. Holidays are approaching and I am hearing the call of the couch. I think about working out, but the Xbox is like, "hey bro, I haven't seen you in a while..." and I am like," I know right," and it's like, "you know you have a really cool new game." Then Borderlands 2 walks up and is like, "Word, XB.  Hey, you pre-ordered me and paid money just to leave me sitting on the shelf?" Then I am like, "Sorry, I really am...I promise I'll play you tonight .. really, I swear."  Then Xbox and Borderlands 2 just shake their electronic heads and say, "Yeah, what evs." Yes, conversations like that do go through my head and they come more often and are harder to resist when my race calendar looks like an empty room with that annoying cricket that you can never find.

So, I went to the Internet, that modern marvel with all our answers. I went looking for a race to really train for. I have done a 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon. I have even done 24 hour run, where I logged 50 miles. I thought I need to do a full marathon. Now, this is was not a easy task. There about a hundred thousand million marathons out there. Every state has about four million of them ...but it seems that everyone of them are run on a Sunday. I don't run or train on Sundays.  It is my belief to keep the Sabbath holy.  It is my choice and it limits me. Personally, religion aside, I don't understand why Sunday is the day of choice when it comes to Marathons. I mean the last thing I want to do the day after running 26.2 miles is go to work. Saturday just makes more sense to me.. just saying. I digress ... After an extensive search I found one, probably a horrible first full marathon, but beggars can't be choosers. The Blue Ridge Marathon...with the slogan of being the world's toughest road marathon. With 26.4 miles +3984 feet / -3984 feet I think it has some leg to stand on with that claim. It's on April 20th, a Saturday, in Roanoke Virginia. This race would be something I would have to train hard for. It would really test myself and the program I am doing. There is an issue...it's the same weekend of the 24 hour Relay for Life. I did this run last year and wanted to do it again. I wanted to see if I could do 75 miles this time or at least do the 50 in a much shorter time than last year. This would be something I would really have to train for also. I am torn...get the marathon under my belt or push myself past my previous race...help me blog readers... you are my only hope. 

Weigh your thoughts in on the comments or suggest another race. Then I'll be able to beat that nagging Xbox/couch voice and man up to training again.

4 comments:

Grammy said...

Kit, this just In put from Dad and I. Small tumors have returned to Janice Jadlow's liver. She started chemo again this week. So sad, she's been cancer free for at least 5 years. Keep her in your prayers. She was so humbled that you would think of her last year. Maybe you can find another marathon so you can do both (: so glad you can tell that couch NO!

Unknown said...

Kit, I love reading your blog. This is a tough decision but I think this is the marathon for you. I agree with your thoughts on the Sunday marathon, it's silly. Not only is there the issue of work but also the travel. Most times there's travel to and from the marathon. That compounded with body aches and work the following day, who's brilliant idea was it to make Sunday the day for races.

All that said, you should go for the marathon. Selfishly, I want you to run that insane 24hr race so we can do it as a group. The fact that you are so determined to fight the calling of the couch and found a Saturday race, tells me THIS is YOUR marathon. You could do it as a fundraiser for cancer. It's a crazy first marathon to choose and it's going to hurt. I say do it, own this marathon! Now you have a goal and a reason to tell that darn XBOX " Talk to the hand, cause my running shoes are calling me too!"

Mack Daddy said...

Ether one is a great choice bro !! As long as you have to be focused and work hard im with your parents ide keep looking for another marathon as well but if you can't then just ask yourself what you want more. Your doing great bro keep it up

Alabama Apples said...

I love you keep pushing yourself! I think both of these endeavors are awesome. I'll have to go with Mack and say choose which one truly you want more! Way to go, babe!!