Friday, October 5, 2012

Making The Weight

Quick post today, but it needs a back story. Nine to ten years ago I made the decision to join the U.S. Coast Guard. I walked into the recruiters office said " I am thinking about joining the Coast Guard. What do I need to do?". He took one look at me and said "Well, we have a weight standard so let's go ahead and weight you to see how far off you are". I step on the scale and... to my chagrin... I had a lot of work to do before I could put on the blue, 75 pounds of work to do. That is more weight than my soon to be ten year old, who weighs in at whopping 62 lbs.  I did it, not the most healthy way, but I did it. For the eight years of my Coast Guard (CG) career I have hated the months of April and Oct. These are the months the CG weighs the work force and for most of those eight years I have been "taped". This is the term for not making weight on the scale but you are measured  for body-fat percentage. Each six months I have been right on the bubble and have barely made taping in. Every six I have made myself sick, trying to get there. Every six months I did my "routine"; I'll save you the details, needless to say pretty unhealthy. But still every six months I got "taped" and passed weigh-in. Yesterday I walked into the office that does the weigh-ins, stepped on the scale, and for the first time in over 6 years I heard the words "You're good, have a great day".  I stepped off the scale and walked out...


...I am still smiling...

2 comments:

whitney said...

That's seriously SO COOL, Kit! I know how hard you work to weigh-in every time, so it'ss doubley-cool that your weigh-in went so smooth and easy this time. Way to go!!

Ashlee said...

Kit - I am so proud of you!! Way to go. I have read this to several people, because you are such an inspration! Keep it up so you never have to go the other route again!